2014 Home School Classes
The Fort Worth Zoo offers classes for home-schooled children ages 6 to 12 two Tuesdays a month from January to May 2014. Classes, $25 each, are from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. and include a snack, live animal presentation and admission for each student to the Zoo on class day. Please note that the same class is offered twice a month.
Classes for home-schooled children ages 13 to 15 are offered one Tuesday a month from January to May 2014. Classes, $50 each, are from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. and include an interactive lab, snack, live animal presentation and admission for each student to the Zoo on class day.
Children ages 6 to 8
April 22: Climbers – Look up to discover a few critters with a different point of view.
May 6 & 20: Flyers – Soar to new heights with some high-flying friends.
Children ages 9 to 12
April 22: Wings – Find out the ups and downs of aerodynamic animals.
May 6 & 20: Tails – Learn about the tail end of things.
Children ages 13 to 15
April 22: Nutrition Lab – Discuss animal nutrition and take a tour of the commissary.
May 20: Zoo Photography Lab – Perfect your photography skills with this beginner class. Bring your own camera!
Home School Day: Thursday, October 2, 2014
All home-schooled children and their families are invited to a fun-filled educational day in the wilds of the Zoo. Learn amazing facts from our zookeepers at more than 20 Wild Encounters and enjoy asking Zoo staff your best animal questions around the Zoo’s world-class exhibits!
|Children 2 & under||free|
|Children 3 to 12 years||$4|
- Zoo members do not need to register unless you are purchasing educational program tickets.
- Tickets purchased at the gate the day of the event will be $7 for adults and $5 for children.
- Registration closes one week before the event date.
Some hints for planning your day:
- Register online and pick up your tickets on our early pickup ticket days so you can enter the Zoo as fast as a cheetah on Home School Day.
- Have you ever wondered what the Zoo’s lions eat or how much one of the giant Aldabra tortoises weigh? Get up close and personal with more than 20 “Wild Encounters” with our zookeepers as they deliver amazing facts and stats about your favorite wild things!
- To add to your Home School Day experience, consider purchasing tickets to an education program presented in our Outdoor Learning Theater. Tickets are $3 per person; children 2 and younger are free. Featured Programs: Animal Recess: Learn about the Zoo’s animal enrichment program and how it enhances the animals’ environments. Animal Geography: Explore the globe with us as we discover fun facts about the places animals call home.
Weekday Home School Volunteens
This program provides local home-schooled teens, ages 12 to 17, the opportunity to assist our Zoo Preschool teachers. They help set up, clean up and assist students with crafts and excursions into the Zoo. Volunteens come in once a week for half of the day, either from 8:45 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. or 12:45 to 4:15 p.m. The fall session runs from September to December and the spring session runs from January to May. Applications are completed online and interviews are scheduled after the final application date. After interviewing all applicants, the Education staff will make selections. Selected Volunteens are required to attend a mandatory orientation prior to the start of the semester.
Registration for the fall semester will be available in May.
For more information, contact the Education Department:
Fort Worth Zoo
1989 Colonial Parkway
Fort Worth, TX 76110