Join our mailing list!
2013 Home School Classes
The Fort Worth Zoo offers classes for home-schooled children ages 6 through 12 two Tuesdays a month through May 2013. Classes, $25 each, are from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. and include a snack, live animal presentation, one home school day T-shirt and admission for each student to the Zoo on class day. Please note that the same class is offered twice a month. One shirt is provided per student for the semester. See below for class descriptions.
Children ages 6-8
May 21 – Grassland Grazers
Join us on a learning safari through the grasslands.
Children ages 9-12
May 21 – Marsupials
The pouch is for their wallet and keys, right?
Home School Day: Thursday, October 3, 2013
All home-schooled children and their families are invited to a fun-filled educational day in the wilds of the Zoo. Learn amazing facts from our zookeepers at more than 20 Wild Encounters and enjoy asking Zoo staff your best animal questions around the Zoo’s world-class exhibits!
|Children 2 & under||free|
|Children 3 – 12 years||$4|
- Zoo members do not need to register unless you are purchasing educational program tickets.
- Tickets purchased at the gate the day of the event will be $7 for adults and $5 for children.
Some hints for planning your day:
- Register online and pick up your tickets on our early pickup ticket days so you can enter the Zoo as fast as a cheetah on Home School Day.
- Have you ever wondered what the Zoo’s lions eat or how much one of the giant Aldabra tortoises weigh? Get up close and personal with more than 20 “Wild Encounters” with our zookeepers as they deliver amazing facts and stats about your favorite wild things!
- To add to your Home School Day experience, consider purchasing tickets to an education program presented in our Outdoor Learning Theater. Join us as we explore the food chain and how we use math at the Zoo. Each program includes a live animal presentation. Tickets are $2.50 per person; children 2 and younger are free.
Registration will be available in late August.
Weekday Home School Volunteens
This program provides local home-schooled teens, ages 12-17, the opportunity to assist our Zoo Preschool teachers. They help set up, clean up and assist students with crafts and excursions into the Zoo. Volunteens come in once a week for half of the day, either from 8:45 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. or 12:45 to 4:15 p.m. The fall session runs from September to December and the spring session runs from January to May. Applications are completed online and interviews are scheduled after the final application date. After interviewing all applicants, the Education staff will make selections. Selected Volunteens are required to attend a mandatory orientation prior to the start of the semester.
For more information, contact the Education Department:
Fort Worth Zoo
1989 Colonial Parkway
Fort Worth, TX 76110