Home School Day:
Thursday, October 4, 2018
All home-schooled children and their families are invited to a fun-filled educational day in the wilds of the Zoo. Learn amazing facts from our zookeepers at more than 20 Wild Encounters and enjoy asking Zoo staff your best animal questions around the Zoo’s world-class exhibits!
Home School Day visitors are able to participate in zoo-wide adventures!
Click here to download a free activity for Home School Day.
- Come meet us at the Outdoor Learning Theater at either of the following show times: 11 a.m., noon and 1 p.m. Adults must also purchase a ticket to this program. Tickets are $3 per person, ages 3 and up.
- Animal Meet and Greet near the Education Cabana at 9 a.m.
- Outside organizations such as Barnes and Nobles, Texas Wildlife Association and American Heritage Girls have booths set up in Texas Wild!.
- Wild Encounter keeper chats around the zoo.
- Texas Nature Traders program in Texas Wild!. Bring a nature item to trade from your backyard.
| Toddlers (2 & younger)
| Children (3 to 12 years)
| Adults (13+)
| Education Program
- Zoo members do not need to register for the event unless purchasing education program tickets.
- Education program tickets can be purchased at the Train Depot in Texas Wild! Every person attending attending the show must purchase a ticket.
- Tickets purchased at the gate the day of the event will be $7 for adults and $5.50 for children 3 to 12 years.
- Add-on purchases (water bottles, backpacks) can be picked up at the registration tent the morning of the event. Please bring proof of purchase.
- Online registration closes 10 hours before the event (12 a.m.).
- Tickets are good for the event date only. Parking is $5 and is not included in the price of the ticket.
- Tickets are nonrefundable, non-exchangeable and no rain checks will be issued.
Don't forget to visit the Texas Wild! section of our zoo! Local organizations will be placed in booths to talk to you about other home school opportunities. Texas Nature Traders will be open from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Home School Classes
The Fort Worth Zoo offers classes for home-schooled children ages 6 to 12 two Tuesdays a month from September to December and January to May. Classes, $25 each, are from 1:45 to 3:30 p.m. and include a live animal presentation, guided Zoo hike and admission for each student to the Zoo on class day. Please note that the same class is offered twice a month.
2018 Home School Classes
Children ages 6 to 8:
Sight, sound, taste, touch and smell – Explore the five senses and find out how animals use their senses to live in the wild. Each student will learn grade-appropriate information based upon Texas Department of Education standards for science, math, and English language arts.
Aug. 21, 28 | Sight: Raptor Canyon
Click Here to Register
Sept. 11, 25 | Sound: Texas Wild!, Mountains & Deserts
Oct. 9, 23 | Taste: Museum of Living Art (MOLA)
Nov. 6, 13 | Touch: African Savanna
Dec. 4, 11 | Smell: Australian Outback/Great Barrier Reef
Children ages 9 to 12:
All living organisms are arranged into different groups. The more features a group shares, the more specific the group is. Discover the levels of classification, the history of how scientists have organized different species and what they do when a new species is discovered. Each student will learn grade-appropriate information based upon Texas Department of Education standards for science, math, and English language arts.
Aug. 21, 28 | What are the levels of classification? - Museum of Living Art (MOLA)
Click Here to Register
Sept. 11, 25 | Key figures that have shaped modern classification - World of Primates/African Savanna
Oct. 9, 23 | How does a species get its name? - Texas Wild!
Nov. 6, 13 | Word origins and their meanings- Raptor Canyon, Penguins, Bird Row
Dec. 4, 11 | Discover a new species - Kid’s choice!
Weekday Home School Volunteens
This program provides local home-schooled teens, ages 12 to 17, the opportunity to assist our Zoo Preschool teachers. They help set up, clean up and assist students with crafts and excursions into the Zoo. Volunteens come in once a week for either half of the day or a full day. There are also Summer Zoo Camp volunteen opportunities. The fall session runs from September to December and the spring session runs from January to May. Applications are completed online and interviews are scheduled after the final application date. After interviewing all applicants, the Education staff will make selections. Selected Volunteens are required to attend a mandatory orientation prior to the start of the semester.
Click here to learn more about Summer Volunteen opportunities.
Click here to register